Monday 4 January 2021

Leftover Christmas Pie

 I absolutely hate food waste, with a passion. I will happily try and disguise a sleepy carrot or a limp cabbage.... so of course when you over cook at Christmas you know you are going to be eating left-overs for quite a few days.


But what to do to make it interesting?

Well, how about a fabulously deep pie, stuffed full of all of your leftovers - you can put absolutely anything in this... as you will see.


First, start off with a ready to roll pastry - or you can make your own of course, but the ready to roll stuff is easy and usually vegan  (but do check).


Then you need a deep tin - I used a loose bottom cake tin.  A pie dish is no good for this, to get all those leftovers in you need depth.  Don't roll your pastry too thin though or it will collapse when you remove it from the tin.



Now to start layering.

Rather than just chucking it all in willy nilly, its much nicer when cutting to see some sort of uniformity.

I started with a splodge of cranberry sauce on the bottom.


Then followed by the left over roast carrots and parsnips... beautifully arranged of course.


Next I added a little "cheese" - vegan of course, can't remember which brand as I eat any and all  :)


Sage and onion stuffing was next, sliced into nice pieces so it would layer up evenly.


At this point I thought it needed a bit of something else, so I blobbed in some spoonfuls of mint sauce.


Green veg was next... Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Peas had all got mixed up with each other, so I didn't bother to separate it, just chopped the sprouts in half and layered it evenly across the dish.


..... a bit more cheese....


..... a few more blobs of cranberry sauce....


Then to top it all off ... the potatoes.  mainly mash, but there was a couple of roasties in there somewhere too. I just kinda squeezed it with my fingers to flatten and laid it on the top.


A final sprinkle of cheese...


...and then a pastry lid.  Sealing the edges with a little water and a good squish with a fork.


I had a little soy cream left from my Christmas Pudding, so I gave it a brush over with that, then shoved it in the oven for about 35 minutes.  Gas Mark 6, middle shelf.


And the result?  It was delicious!  It lasted for ages too as I was the only one eating it  :)



Let me know if you try it and what you put in it   :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Baked Gnocchi

  Gnocchi is one of those comfort foods I find.  Stodgy, filling, warming, comforting, delicious! And the best thing is you can buy Gnocchi ...